Buckle Up! Cold Weather Is Coming-What You Need To Know

Buckle Up! Cold Weather Is Coming-What You Need To Know

Buckle Up! Cold Weather Is Coming-What You Need To Know

ROBERTSON COUNTY TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – According to the US National Weather Service Nashville Tennessee, a “COLD BLAST IS COMING! – “We will drop below freezing in Middle TN Saturday night and we’re expected to remain below freezing (with single-digit morning lows Wednesday) until Thursday.

As far as snow, models are still all over the place regarding snowfall amounts and locations next week but snow is likely, at least an inch or two.

Bottom line: Winter is Coming.”

According to the Robertson County Emergency Management Agency, County and City officials have crews on standby for the coming Winter Weather. Though it’s going to be chilly, EMA Deputy Director Blake Pierce told Smokey Barn News, there is no reason to panic and buy food, it’s just going to be cold. The primary concern will be infrastructure, like water pipes will be susceptible to freezing. Citizens are advised to follow the steps below to prepare their homes and businesses for the extreme cold temps coming.

Pierce added that TDOT officials will be hard at work keeping roads clear but if you are going to be out and about, drive with care.

Current Forecast

Sunday night January 14 – Watching a potential winter storm. Occasional snow showers. Low 14F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 60%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Monday January 15 – Occasional snow showers. High 22F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected. Monday night – Watching a potential winter storm. Cloudy with snow showers mainly during the evening. Low 9F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 40%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

Tuesday, January 16 – High 17° Low 4°

Wednesday, January 17 – High 28° Low 19°

Thursday, January 18 – High 37° Low 21°

Friday, January 19 – High 27° Low 6°

What You Can Do Now

• Prepare yourself and your home for this extended period of freezing temperatures!
• Continue to monitor the forecast for updates

Wind Chills and how they factor in. Bill Jones (Robertson County Weather), what you need to know

Most of us refer to the “Wind Chill Factor” as something we are supposed to feel. We use the term “feels like” but wind chill factors are arrived at by formula. It involves relative humidity, wind speed, and ambient air, which is air that is not affected by buildings, trees, obstacles, etc. There is even a formula to tell us how we arrive at the “ambient air standard.”

The heat index is also figured this same way. It is not just a figure that is pulled out of the air or guessed at.

So depending on the wind, humidity, and ambient air, the “feels like temperature” may vary given in the same town.

Most people know windchill doesn’t make the air colder. It’s a measure of the rate of heat loss, not how cold it is. Likewise, humidity doesn’t make the air hotter. But the language of the forecaster has a way of messing with what people think it means.

If your backyard thermometer shows zero but the reported wind chill is minus 5 degrees, your thermometer will still just read zero. If you step outside without a hat and there is no wind at all you might be fine but if the wind picks up you’ll get cold much faster. That’s all “wind chill” means.

A week from now:

“Some are saying that we are getting more bad weather and snow Thursday. I don’t think that is going to happen. It just will be very cold.” – Bill Jones

Be Prepared:

Create an emergency car kit. It is best to avoid traveling, but if travel is necessary, keep the following in your car:

• Cell phone, portable charger, and extra batteries
• Items to stay warm such as extra hats, coats, mittens, and blankets
• Windshield scraper
• Shovel
• Battery-powered radio with extra batteries
• Flashlight with extra batteries
• Water and snack food
• First aid kit with any necessary medications and a pocket knife
• Tow chains or rope
• Tire chains
• Canned compressed air with sealant for emergency tire repair
• Cat litter or sand to help tires get traction, or road salt to melt ice
• Booster cables with fully charged battery or jumper cables
• Hazard or other reflectors
• Bright colored flag or help signs, emergency distress flag, and/or emergency flares
• Road maps
• Waterproof matches and a can to melt snow for water

Bring your pets indoors

If you have pets, bring them indoors. If you cannot bring them inside, provide adequate shelter to keep them warm and make sure they have access to unfrozen water.

Prevent Frozen Pipes:

• Insulate Pipes. The best way to keep your pipes from freezing is to purchase specifically designed pipe insulation.
• Keep Garage Doors Closed.
• Open Cabinets.
• Let Faucets Drip.
• Keep the Thermostat Consistent.
• Seal Cracks and Openings.
• Leave the Heat On.
• Open Interior Doors.

Check On Older Neighbors

*Remember the harsh cold weather can be tough on our older neighbors, be sure to check up on them when you have an opportunity

Mobile: To See The Latest Stories or to share this article, scroll below