Driver Flees After Traffic Stop Ends In Shots Fired, Driver At Large

Driver Flees After Traffic Stop Ends in Shots Fired, Driver at Large

UPDATED: The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) is now seeking the public’s help to locate 22-year-old Jalon Devon Smith, who is wanted in connection to the officer-involved shooting incident in Greenbrier on Friday night.

Smith, who was driving a blue 2009 Nissan Maxima with TN Tag #550BMRL, fled the scene after allegedly attempting to hit an officer with his vehicle. The TBI has released Smith’s photo and is asking anyone with information on his whereabouts to come forward. SEE PHOTOS BELOW


GREENBRIER, TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – On Friday evening, a traffic stop in Greenbrier escalated into a police pursuit and a subsequent officer-involved shooting. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) is leading the investigation.  Both the TBI and the Greenbrier Police have declined to comment on the incident.Around 6:30 PM Friday evening, a Nissan Altima, driven by an unidentified male with one female passenger, allegedly fled from a traffic stop, prompting a chase by Greenbrier police. Smokey Barn News began tracking the pursuit as it moved onto Highway 41, heading towards Ridgetop somewhere east of downtown Greenbrier. We do not know where the traffic stop or the pursuit originated. As the chase approached the intersection of Hygeia Road and Candy Lane on Hwy 41, the driver turned onto Candy Lane toward the Old Greenbrier Pike intersection and stopped. MAP


At this point, the female passenger exited the vehicle. Based on evidence markers, it appears that the officer exited his vehicle, after which the Nissan “attempted to hit the officer with the vehicle,” according to the TBI. Subsequently, the officer discharged his firearm, as indicated by the three evidence markers.

The officer communicated during radio communication that “shots were fired due to the vehicle coming at me.” It is unclear whether the driver of the Nissan was hit by the gunfire. The vehicle then fled south on Highway 41 towards Ridgetop, at which point police terminated the pursuit.

The female passenger was interviewed by the authorities and (we believe) subsequently released.

22-year-old Jalon Devon Smith remains at large and will likely face charges of felony evading and assault of a first responder. As far as we know, no law enforcement personnel were injured during the incident.

We will update this story as more information becomes available from the TBI.