Household/Hazardous Waste Day Set For May 11

Household/Hazardous Waste Day Set For May 11

Household/Hazardous Waste Day In Robertson County: May 11

ROBERTSON COUNTY TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation (TDEC) mobile household hazardous waste collection service will be in Robertson County on Saturday, May 11.

Tennesseans are encouraged to bring household hazardous waste – including cleaning fluids, pesticides, batteries and more – to the designated drop-off location. A person does not need to live in the county to participate.

Drop-off location:

Robertson County – Transfer Station, 2916 West County Farm Rd., Springfield, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. CDT. The local contact is Korey Drake at (615) 384-0683.

“We encourage all Tennesseans with eligible materials to participate in this no-cost program,” said TDEC Commissioner David Salyers. “This is a way to dispose of common hazardous materials in an environmentally responsible way.”

Since the program’s inception in 1993, 350,000 Tennessee households have properly disposed of more than 22 million pounds of material.

Household hazardous waste materials are considered flammable, toxic, reactive and/or corrosive and should not be placed with regular garbage. Typical items to dispose of include cleaning fluids, pesticides, mercury thermometers and thermostats, fluorescent lamps, lithium and button batteries, aerosols, adhesives, medications, brake fluid, swimming pool chemicals, paint thinner and used needles in sturdy containers. Items not accepted include ammunition, explosives, alkaline batteries, paint, electronics and any empty containers that should be disposed in normal trash.

While household waste may be disposed of for free, there is a cost for disposal of Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Waste (i.e. wastes from non-household sources such as businesses, schools, farms, churches, etc.) An appointment is also necessary. Call (615) 643-3170 to request a price quote and schedule an appointment.

Many counties and municipalities meet the needs of local residents by providing collection of batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze and electronic scrap – or BOPAE, as it is sometimes called. When handled correctly, these BOPAE materials are minimally hazardous, but inappropriate for collection at household hazardous waste events. Tennesseans are encouraged to contact their local city or county solid waste department to find BOPAE collection sites in their area.

When transporting materials to the site, place containers in sturdy boxes lined with newspaper to prevent spills and cross-contamination in the trunk of a car or back of a truck. Be sure to keep materials away from children and pets.

Household Hazardous Waste – Acceptable & Unacceptable Items

Acceptable Items:

Automotive and Marine Products:

• Fuel and oil additives
• Grease and rust solvents, naval jelly
• Carburetor and fuel injector cleaners
• Starter fluids
• Body putty
• Antifreeze / coolant
• Gasoline

Home Maintenance / Improvement Products:

• Used strippers and thinners
• Adhesives
• Driveway sealant
• Roofing tar
• Wallpaper remover

Home Lawn and Garden Products:

• Pesticides
• Fertilizers
• Wood preservatives


• Pool chemicals
• Photo processing chemicals
• Medicines / drugs
• Aerosols / compressed gas
• Mercury thermostats and thermometers
• Fluorescent tubes
• Compact fluorescent bulbs
• Needles and sharps (in a puncture-proof container)

Unacceptable Items

Medical / Biological:

• Infectious wastes
• Dead animals
• Any waste from a doctor’s office, clinic, or veterinarian’s office

Explosives / Ammunition:

• Fireworks
• Military ordnance
• Gun powder
• Ammunition


• Smoke detectors
• Radium paint

Business / Institutional Waste:

• No businesses, large or small
• No colleges or universities
• No schools
• No hospitals
• No home improvement or painting contractors
• No agribusiness


• Empty containers of any kind
• Automotive gas tanks
• Alkaline batteries – may be thrown away in the trash
• Electronics – contact your local Solid Waste Department for guidance
• Paint – contact your local Solid Waste Department for guidance

Frequently Asked Questions About Household Hazardous Waste – click here

For more information on the household hazardous waste mobile collection service, please call 1-800-287-9013 or visit us online, click here.

Smokey Barn News (Advertisement)

Smokey Barn News (Advertisement)

We bring you ALL the News in and surrounding Robertson County, Tennessee.