Meals On Wheels Struggling As Gas Prices Drive Volunteers Away
Robertson Co. Meals On Wheels Needs You! Volunteer Today!
SPRINGFIELD TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – Meals-on-Wheels has become a lifeline for many local residents but it’s more than just food, it’s friendship too. Gas prices are taking a huge toll and the Meals-on-Wheels is struggling to get volunteers.
“I have been here 12 years and never seen it like this.”Sharon McDaniel, Community Engagement Director
As you may have guessed, this is not just a Robertson County issue, it’s an issue sweeping access the nation. Keep reading to find out how you can become a volunteer driver!
Meals-on-Wheels provides meals to seniors age 60+ but volunteers also give emotional support and a daily well-being check on seniors who live alone. To keep this vital service going takes volunteers.
The meals are not delivered by autonomous flying drones, they are delivered by real people who can spin a good yarn, offer a needed hug or just listen to a lonely heart.
“We are really in need of volunteers Monday, Wednesday, and Friday around 10:30 AM to deliver meals in Robertson County so please reach out to us today,” the agency said in a statement Monday.
Over 11 million meals served to seniors in Middle Tennessee
“A hot meal and a good friend are two of life’s greatest enjoyments. Mid-Cumberland Meals-on-Wheels has been providing both for nearly 50 years. In fact, we provide congregate meals, home-delivered meals, outreach, nutrition education, supportive services, and recreational activities for individuals age 60 and older.”
Best Lunch Date You Will Ever Have!
TOP 5 REASONS WE LOVE OUR VOLUNTEERS
1. Volunteers foster a sense of family for a lonely senior
2. If the program had to pay delivery drivers instead of using volunteers, the program would serve 25% fewer meals. Volunteers are critical to meals-on-wheels!
3. Many volunteers will bring their children to deliver so they are teaching their children the importance of “giving back” to the vulnerable members of their community
4. Volunteers deliver the only meal a senior may have in a day
5. Volunteers save lives! Volunteers have been able to call 911 for seniors who have collapsed in their homes.
Meals-on-Wheels Volunteer opportunities are for packing and delivering a weekday lunchtime meal. So come on out and bring a big smile and join the Meals-on-Wheels family!
All volunteers will need to complete a volunteer registration form. Volunteer Today! Click Here to Register
For questions please email: [email protected]
Mobile: To See The Latest Stories or to share this article, scroll below