Portland Home Damaged, Dog Lost In Fire Monday

Portland Home Damaged, Dog Lost In Fire Monday


Portland Home Damaged, Dog Lost In Fire Monday

PORTLAND TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – A Portland home sustained about 50% damage and a family dog was lost in a fire that started around 7 pm Monday evening.

The home is perched near the top of the county on Groves Ln, in Portland on the Robertson side of I-65, less than three miles from the Kentucky border. MAP  According to Fire Chief Dusty Johnson with the Orlinda Fire Department, the fire started in the laundry room of the home and spread to the attic and from there broke through the roof.

The structure was home to a family of four, with three home at the time of the fire, all escaped without injury except for the family dog that was lost. Officials tell us that the dog was in the laundry when the fire started.

According to Johnson, the cause of the fire was a candle in the laundry room. The candle fell over next to a cardboard box, Johnson said.

Firefighters from Orlinda, Cross Plains and the White House Community Volunteer Fire Department, with the assistance of Robertson County EMS, all aggressively attacked the home, saving about 50% of the structure. “It was a good save,” Johnson said.

Overall, Johnson said he’s proud of the save, it was a joint effort by everyone.

As far as the disposition of the family, we’re told they have family in the area that were able to take them in.

We bring you ALL the News in and surrounding Robertson County, Tennessee.