Robertson Man Sentenced To Life For Springfield Murder

Robertson Man Sentenced To Life For Springfield Murder

Robertson Man Sentenced To Life For Springfield Murder

SPRINGFIELD TENNESSEE: (Smokey Barn News) – After 50 years, Tevin “Turk” Harris of Springfield, will be eligible for parole following a mandatory sentence of life in prison after being found guilty of First-Degree-Murder for the death of Ronald “Jolly” Chatman in 2013.

Ron ChatmanBoth the prosecution and the defense waived a jury trial which set the stage for Judge Ayers to decide the case last Tuesday.  The verdict, guilty, the sentence, life in prison with the possibility of parole in 50 years. With time served, it will be 2063 before Harris will see his first parole hearing.

Back on May 2, 2013, Chatman was found shot in a vehicle on South Main St across from the Stop One Market in Springfield. MAP

When officers arrived, Chatman was found inside of his vehicle deceased. Officials told Smokey Barn News that  Chatman appeared to have bullet wounds to his upper body. Below is Smokey’s video report from that evening. Original Story

Harris is currently serving time in the shooting death of another man, Thomas Smith Jr., 27, of Springfield.  

a 004Back on October 13 2013, just five months after the murder of Chatman, Springfield Police were called to 1505 Leota Street in Springfield. The call came in that a person had been shot.  When police arrived, the victim (Thomas D. Smith, 27 years of age, from Springfield) was already in transit to NorthCrest Medical Center in a personal vehicle.

Witnesses told police that Harris and Smith had been involved in an argument and Harris allegedly shot Smith. Smith died from his injuries. (Click here for Smokey’s original report)

“As we examine the murders that have occurred, it appears as though there is a small subculture of violence that places a high value on violence and Most Wantedretribution while placing a low value on human life. Changing these values requires a long-term commitment from everyone… families, friends, churches, schools, and the whole community,” said Springfield Police Chief David Thompson the day after the shooting.

After Harris was named as a suspect, the search was on to find him. The TBI placed Harris on their Most Wanted list the next day. 

Just two days after Smith was shot to death (Oct. 15 2013) Harris was arrested and charged with his murder. Police received a tip that Harris was at a home in Springfield. Police surrounded the home but he refused to come out. Ultimately police used tear-gas to convince Harris to come out and he was taken into custody without further incident. (See video below from that night)

Tevin “Turk” Harris

Smokey Spoke to Police Chief David Thompson the night of Harris’s arrest,  the Chief indicated that during Harris’s arrest a gun and a cell phone were taken in as evidence. The Chief said that Harris’s gun was being put through ballistics to determine if the gun was used in any other murders.

On Monday, March 2, 2015, Mr. Harris went to trial and was found guilty of 2nd Degree Murder in the death of Smith and Unlawful Possession of a weapon. He is currently serving a 22-year sentence for those convictions. Harris’ sentences for both murders will run concurrently, making him eligible for parole in 2063 with time served.

Smokey Barn News (Advertisement)

We bring you ALL the News in and surrounding Robertson County, Tennessee.